- 4 fresh pork knuckles
- 500ml chicken stock
- 250ml dark beer or stout
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1tsp tomato paste
- 1 twig fresh thyme
- 3 fresh sage leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp fresh marjoram (oregano is a close substitute)
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbls rice bran oil, for searing
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Wash knuckles under cold running water and dry with paper towels.
- Make a spice mix by grinding salt, pepper, marjoram and rosemary in a pestle and mortar.
- Rub knuckles thoroughly with spice mix.
- Sear knuckles in a roasting tray. Take out of tray and set aside.
- Roast onions and garlic in same tray until golden brown, add tomato paste and stir to dissolve.
- Add beer, stock, sage, thyme and stir to combine. Return knuckles to the tray, meat-side down.
- Roast for 2.5 hours, constantly basting knuckles with roasting liquid from pan.
- Raise oven temperature to 220°C for the last 15 minutes, to crisp knuckle skin.
- Take knuckles out of tray and rest for 10 minutes.
- To make beer sauce, strain liquid from tray into a small pot, bring to boil.
- Thicken with corn starch.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Serve knuckles with beer sauce, sauerkraut and mashed potato.